Monday, May 31, 2004

Holland: "Call Me Ishmael"

Yahoo! News - New Opera Based on 'Moby Dick' Debuts

Coincidence? Rance recently posted:
Friday, 28 May 2004
Postcard from the Indian Ocean
I’m posting from several hundred leagues south of nowhere. The whaling ship on which I’ve been serving as second mate was pulled over by police, who informed us that it’s illegal to whale. We anchored at a small island where I read an article about this blog, of all things, while turning to the local newspaper’s Help Wanteds in hope of finding another berth (How rumors started that I was an actor--and A-List no less--I have no idea; didn’t my parents tell you, before I went to sea, that I was a high school failure?). I’m posting now from a black and white computer powered by an old mule on a treadmill. Having checked the blog, I see that a good measure of hell’s broken loose while I’ve been away. I’ll address some of that hell in the Administrative Notes section at the end of this entry--unless the poor mule expires before I get there. But first, the text of the postcard I’d prepared for you...


Ocean's Twelve is filming in Holland (actually almost done now).

It's posssible, I suppose, that there is some faint link - whaling opera in Holland, main suspect is in Holland, "Rance" suddenly goes whaling? Maybe. Only if "Call Me Ishmael" got a lot of local press in English. Unlikely. Still, it's a funny happenstance.

No comments: