Thursday, May 27, 2004

Who is Rance: My Predictions

I think Rance is someone who really is famous, and not a hairy patri-matrilocal
basement dweller (or an embittered, anti-depressant munching PA).

I think Rance is very intelligent, impatient
with studio yes-men, and willing to get in and do things
himself rather than leave it to someone else.

I think Rance is someone who has a quick wit and a temper to match.
Someone with a chronic health problem that requires a lot
of medication to control. Someone with writing and production
credits (hence the impatience with yes-men and studios in general).

I think Rance is someone who has had dealings with Fox, and not in a good
way. Someone who's had rumbles with gossip mavens and papparatchniks.
Someone who's politics are left of center, but who can't afford to be
identified with "the Hollywood Left," such as Babs and so on - not just be
cause they're liberals, but because some of them are rather silly. Rance is
more of a two-fisted populist with a well-developed sense of right, wrong, and outrage, politically speaking. Someone with a rep for being "difficult," but only fools think that, because this is someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly. However, it's someone who was raised right and has good manners and old-fashioned courtesy.
Someone with family ties to "Old Hollywood."

I think Rance is male. I think it's possible that his nick is is a pun on "rants" and Rance Howard, a journeyman actor (father of Clint and Ron). I don't think Rance is Clint or Ron, though. Too obvious, if my guess is right on the derivation of Rance's nick. But if I'm right, it's because Rance Howard is a "That Guy" kind of actor, who never achieved white-hot fame, but who has been working for a long time (50 years?), and our Rance admires and maybe envies that kind of career.

I think Rance has at least one pet project in development hell.
I think he has a lot of unexpressed anger, or is at least highly frustrated by the
way things are done "in this town." I think that's why he originally started his blog - to get his rants off - but he can't really talk about the things that piss him off most deeply, because they might be too easily connected to his real identity.

The heat is on - the various forms of media are in the hunt.

BoingBoing, tipped off by a Hollywood insider, wondered if he was Owen Wilson
Several magazines, including Woman's Day, recently published speculations.
And now it's hit the Reuters/Yahoo RSS feed (as of 27MAY)

Holy crap. This came out just as I was writing this entry up - I was going to add a bunch of links.

I think the game is almost over. I hope I'm wrong about that.

For what it's worth, I think Rance is George Clooney.

No comments: