Thursday, June 17, 2004

Gus Openshaw's Whale-Killing Journal

I bought an old wooden cabin cruiser from a geezer in Port Helslop, Washington for $20. Wood boats are a bitch is why. Takes a good couple hundred hours to scrape and paint the hulls every year. Invention of fiberglass made wood boats' asses obsolete. So folks with wood boats they don't use no more are left with this dilemma: 'Do I keep paying two grand a year to keep this sucker in dry dock, or do I pay some guy twice that much to come over, chain saw my family heirloom apart and haul it to the dump?' So the price for these craft is zip. The twenty bucks was for the gas in her. And it was a good fifty bucks worth of gas.

A few days later, a few leagues north of the Equator, I upgraded to a 180-foot superyacht that came with this computer I'm blogging on now. I'll get to that next time I blog. Now I got to hit the head.


At last, something to relax by and be amused. Rance put me on to it - he must have run into the guy in a seedy dockside dive somewhere.

It's kind of like a costume party. I don't know yet if there will be a reveal and everybody standing around chatting later saying "I knew it was you!"

No comments: