Friday, July 02, 2004

NPR : The Reading of the Declaration of Independence / Rance file comment

Choked up when I heard Red Barber's voice.

Added an "optional" comment over at Rance's - will probaby not be approved
since it will be out of date very soon.


This comment is optional; it's not personal, but it's also not terribly witty, original, or containing anything to do with JLo (doesn't she have a new nickname yet?). Therefore, it may be blown away without remorse.

Your "Am I proud to be an American" has got me thinking, and that's never a good thing. I'll probably expand on the thought elsewhere; for now I'll say that I was proud when I heard the annual dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence on NPR this morning, but felt a bit sad that it was impossible to hear it without making ironic substitutions related to current events. Oh, and I always choke up when I hear Red Barber's voice now.

I'm proud when I go to our national and state parks and public lands, but not so proud when I see trash strewn around, monuments vandalized, and my fellow Amerkins acting like asshats and ruining it for everyone else.

Try not to be too miserable, Rance. I've got you beat there - we probably won't do a damn thing, and then I have to work on Monday. Bleh.

No comments: